Poke bowls got me completely hooked the last year. My version is a Korean fusion!
This dish has a long history and tradition behind it. Said to be as ancient as the island itself. The word poke is Hawaiian for “to cut crosswise into pieces,” and a quintessentially Hawaiian dish.
You need: (for 4)
- 600 gram fresh salmon of best quality
- 2 dl soy sauce
- 5 tbsp Sesame oil
- 200 gram bean sprouts
- 1 large cucumber
- 1 mango
- 1/2 fresh red chilipepper
- 1 large red onion
- 3 tablespoons white vine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 x 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 2 dl Hellman´s mayonnaise
- Fresh coriander
- Sushi rice or jasmine rice
- Cut the salmon in cubes.
- Marinate in mixture of 2 dl soy, 3 tbsp sesame oil and add black pepper to your taste.
- Let be in refrigerator for 1 hour
- I use sushi rice for my poke bowls. Cook according to instructions for 4 persons
- Pour boiling water over sliced red onions, then transfer them to a solution of vinegar, sugar, chili and salt.
- The onions will brighten into a gaudy shade of purplish-pink and will keep indefinitely keep their bright color and crisp texture.
- Rinse bean sprouts thorougly in a colander in the sink.
- Boil water in a big kettle, and pour over the bean sprouts while still in the colander.
- Then rinse in cold water again. The cold water will help them keep their texture.
- Remove excessive amount of water by placing them on a clean kitchen towel.
- Mix with 2-3 tbsp sesame oil and 1-2 tsp of salt. The amount of salt depends on how you want them yourself.
- Peel the skin of the mango, and then slice the meat in small cubes.
- Mix with 1/2 fresh spanish chili and salt.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise. Remove the small seeds with a teaspoon and cut in slices.
- Rinse the scallions, and slice in small pieces. Add 2 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp salt/ 3 tbsp soy and some sesame seeds.
If you don´t want to make your own, then I would suggest buying Hellmans Mayonnaise. Mix with the chili of your liking. I choose the Korean one and the amount is 1 tsp together with 1 dl of mayonnaise.
Now everything is well prepared and it´s time to make your own poke bowl!
Start by putting rice in the bottom of your bowl, and then the rest is up to you. Always finish of with the chili mayo and the roe though!